Sunday, December 15, 2013

Real review of Hobbit 2 - part one

"Now this is a story all about how,
Bilbo Baggins got flipped, turned upside down,
It took 160 minutes for me to sit right there
And watch a Hobbit, with a ring, to get real scared"

(Caution!! This review may contain possibilities of spoiler alerts not suitable for true Tolkien fandage!!)


Let me begin by telling you I was tired.  Real tired.  The week was long and cold.  Darkness surrounded the two of us as we entered the lobby of the old theater.  Normally the lights are out at this time of night.  Midnight -the hour of possibility and nightmares.  As we made our way to the cashier, a feeling of excitement and wonder filled our anticipation and curiosity.  We had waited, as so many others had, for the sequel to the prequel of the trilogy of The Lord Of The Rings.  Our journey had only just begun with the conclusion of the first installment of The Hobbit.  Who was Smaug and why would a dragon bury himself under so much gold?  Who was Bilbo Baggins and his arch enemy Smeagol?  Would Smeagol even make an appearance in the second installment? Would Harry Potter battle Gandolph the Grey in this one?  Would the Ork's continue hunting the dwarves and would the elves continue working establishing their rule in the cookie industry?  So many questions and only 2 hours and 40 minutes to find out.  I must admit I was still questioning the eagles and why they wouldn't just drop off the wizard and little guys on top of Lonely Mountain.  The whole time I'm watching Hobbit 2 - the question lingered.  Why wouldn't the eagles fly an extra couple of minutes and drop them off at the foot of that mountain?  "Why?"!!!!!!, I silently screamed as the weary, battled travelers made their way through a weird forest?  "Why?"!!!!!, I agonized while watching them being chased in barrels by the Orks.  For me, the movie was a string of "why's?"  "Why?" would an elfin lass fall under the spell of a quick witted little dwarf with a black shiny rock given to him by his mother?  Why would Gandolph wander off by himself and get himself trapped in a cage?  Why isn't agent Smith from the Matrix in this one? How did Smaug survive 60 years inside the mountain without eating?  Where the heck is Smeagol?  Why doesn't Bilbo just wear the ring all of the time when danger first approaches?  Why doesn't Smaug just melt Bilbo the first time he sees him?  Why are fish so much trouble?  How do the dwarves get their weapons back when the Orks attack?  How did Kate make it off the island and where the heck is Sawyer?  And why doesn't anyone call her Freckles in this one?  And how does everyone forget about moonlight?  And how did Thorin recover so quickly after the last Ork attack before the eagles showed up in the first Hobbit?  Reviewing this movie as just a movie, without ties to the first Hobbit or ties to the final episode, I would describe the movie off-paced with many breaks in rhythm.  The effort by the director, in stretching out this epic tale into three, drawn out movies, to secure profits, could be summarized as bold and tiring.  I believe, on its own merits, the tale of The Hobbit could have been well done with a single, two hour movie.  I do blame my own weariness as the main culprit in my initial displeasure with Hobbit 2.  It was after waking up the next morning that the questions came.  What upsets me the most with Hobbit 2 was the final question after really seeking out my true feelings upon this viewing - How could a movie this long, as a number two in a trilogy, have no real continuity or rhythm?  Yes, I was already physically and mentally fatigued prior to the start of Hobbit 2.  I'm just thankful I didn't endure 3 hours of wearing 3D glasses for this one.  I am already in the process of working on the sequel of this review where I really get in depth on my reflections of my initial feelings on the The Hobbit 2 - A Dwarf and His Dragon.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment