Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Have You Driven A Fjord Lately?


Legend tells us of a mighty beast from the mountains of Norway,  As big as a horse because, well, it's a horse.  This creature has adapted to farming and relaxes in mountains of straw.  The breed is called Fjord horse.  Interesting, no?  If you think I'm lying (and statistically 10% always think I'm lying) go ahead and google fjord horse.  You'll see links to different fjord breeders and youtube videos of fjord horses for sale.  But I digress ... What I really want to talk about is our little addiction problem.  Notice I used the term "our". Oh, I can see you squirming a little bit in that nervous way you get when someone's called you out on some simple little vice like candy bars or Vicodin.  "Rueuhy, I'm not addicted to the internet and who are you to judge me?"  That's what you're thinking isn't it? Some blogger who lives in an isolated ward in some psychiatric hospital just called you addicted to the internet and you can't stand it. In fact, I bet you already forgot to google fjord horses already, haven't you?  Because society labels addiction as a "weakness" - the inability to overcome a practice which overrides common sense for the victim in it's hold on the addicted.  "But I can quit anytime!" you yell at me in that weak voice that feels the imminent twinge of defeat coming on rapidly.  You're addicted and it's only becoming worse, isn't it?  You used to look up for longer periods of time and converse with your family. But now, if your phone has any battery left, you're on facebook or twitter or playing that game that you just played twenty minutes ago.  In fact, you will use more time and energy to find your charger if your phone is almost dead than you would to do that cleaning you "just didn't have time for this year".  So what's the solution?  How do we break the chains of servitude we suffer under in the name of technology.  Well, it's simple.  Hit the off button for starters.  (Please finish reading this first or you won't know what to do next.) Close that laptop.  Turn your phone off.  Find that list you wrote down several years ago of the things you should have accomplished already.  Go buy some cheap whiskey and go visit that friend that just got out on parole.  Do something.  Because all it takes is something like a video about cats and you'll be on here for another half hour.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4  I tried to warn you but you know you're gonna click that link.  Oh well. My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment