Friday, September 27, 2013

A Forest Without Trees.com

"Can't see the forest through the trees" is one of those phases that applies so eloquently to the implications of preponderances that happenstance allows.  Let that soak in a little bit and then consider that particular forest you've been in lately.  I call it the "big picture".  We've all seen it.  We get so involved with a particular problem that we "can't see the forest through the trees."   I consider life such a forest.  And I've had a few "trees" obscure my sight.  Even my work with endangered elephants in Illinois has suffered due to the overwhelming sensation of fighting the government on acquiring certain permits.  But I digress ... The whole problem with problems is how much of a problem they are at times.  We suffer minute problems such as finding our car keys (this is not something I suffer from because I'm pretty anal when it comes to remembering where they are) to finding our car in a large parking lot.  We all suffer problems.  The problems seem overwhelming at times but it is a matter of perspective, isn't it?  Most problems do not enter into the "life or death" category and many can be fixed in short order.  But it's the bump that we suffer that jars our brains and we just want a break from it all.  Lately, upon certain viewing of certain websites, I've noticed a troubling trend of the English language - it's changing dramatically.  I believe the old English we can read in such classics as Shakespeare and The King's James Bible is slightly different than the English we currently hold as the norm in our present day.  What I'm talking about is a (and excuse my French here) bastardization of our beloved language found in spelling and punctuation evident in such notable communications such as twitter and Facebook and texting, (oh my).  Have you ever spent five minutes re-reading a comment or a post on someone's account and still scratched your head because you honestly couldn't read it?   This isn't "life or death" unless you consider yourself the English language. And if you could ask the English language how if feels it's doing I believe you would find it, in some cases, lying on its death bed asking "Oh, Hast Thou suffered such travesty over thine inequity via facebook?".  But we can't really ask a language how it's doing but we see a reflection of it in our daily lives, don't we?  It's the lazy approach we've taken with all the abbreviations and shortened terms we have integrated to make our communications "faster?".  Yes, I speaketh of thou L.O.L's and ye fine LMAO's.  We've created a new language from the old English, which, by the way, I suffered to learn back in school.  Someone's tax dollars paid for a school and school teachers to teach young Rueuhy to speak and write in an acceptable manner to allow others to understand verbal and written communications from Rueuhy.  So, in the forest of communication, the trees are being chopped down mercilessly and I am having a tough time tripping over the clippings.  What used to be a few misspellings and some lack of correct punctuation has become a cornucopia of mistakes and alterations that only a handful of teenagers truly understand.  I find myself mouthing out the possibilities and then I throw my phone in disgust and yell, "Oh, they cursed wretch with such vile cruelty and malice."  Or I yell, "Crap!  What are they saying!!!???"  I just received a text, literally within the past minute, that reads "ltr wat we do in tx".  How do you defend your honor with such an insult?  Or was it a compliment?  Or is the author involved in some kind of secret mission that only allows 5 second texts compared to 10 second texts?  I just hope there isn't any torture involved on her end because I really do think my sister has lost the ability to write full words.  And now I'm gonna take a moment of silence and ponder how a language we spend years learning through 12 years of public education has suffered a slow and embarrassing death @twitter.facebook/edu.  My name is Rueuhyth and I approve this bloggeth.(!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment