Monday, January 20, 2014

At Her Bedside With Tears

I love to read news articles.  It's what I do.  I feel this undeniable thirst to know what's going on around me.  Even as painful as it may be, I just have to know.  It's not that I don't trust individuals - people, as individuals, I believe, for the most part, are good.  It's when they get together in groups that I find people disquieting.  People, grouped together and allowed to discuss "things", have the potential to do the most good but also the most bad.  One single, off the cuff remark, can start a movement or mayhem.  I am just as guilty, as anyone else, of promoting good and bad.  My words, upon reflection, have a profound impact upon myself and I'm sure, in talks with others, have been the fuel for some unnecessary fires.  Words are the most powerful weapon ever used in destroying moral or moving men beyond their believed capability.  I must be careful.  I should know better.  So, I'm reading a news article in my morning emails when I'm directed to a story about welfare fraud.  The use of debit, or EBT cards, as issued by state authority, are being misused in other states such as Florida (at Disney World) and Nevada (Las Vegas).  Their point of origin are from other states such as Maine and California.  All 50 states can show misuse of these cards but "watcha gonna do?"  It is in human nature to take advantage of the generosity of "the state" if the state's gonna be so generous. After reading the article I read a couple of comments from other readers, to my wife, and then reflected upon what the article meant for me and my country.  You see, I love my country.  Even though we have problems (huge problems actually) I still love her.  The United States was founded upon ideals and notions which were extraordinary in their day and remain just as extraordinary today.  The idea of liberty and freedom is just a potent to a middle aged man as it is to a young man or old man.  Or to an elderly woman or young debutante.   The only ones who feel liberty isn't ideal are the ones who hold the keys to the jail cells or the authority of power.  Liberty has never mixed well with totalitarianism.  Even monarchists frown upon such thinking.  So I was reflecting upon how much I really love this country and how it came into being and I feel like the loved one who must kneel by her bedside as disease takes it's toll on her.  All I can really do is kneel.  And pray.  And write.  And speak.  I must tell her that I do love her.  I must tell others how important she is and how much she means to me.  Do I sit quietly and watch other men and woman destroy her from within by action and misdeed?  As I said previously, I do trust people.  It's just when they get together that the mayhem starts.  Whether it is the abuse of the system from without or within or the leaders who use the abuse to their advantage - they are killing her.  And the thing that bothers me the most is how so many are quietly watching her go as they continue to pocket their wealth and wield their power under the guise of "it's for the good of the people".  And I know I'm not alone.  So many others feel the same about their own country.  Whether they live in the United States or Russia or Pakistan, everyone feels something for their home.  But this morning I weep for my own and hope for something to happen.  Few desire for bloodshed or death.  I'm pretty sure our own founding fathers weren't sitting around wiping down their firearms with dribbles of spittle running down their chins in the anticipation of bloodshed between themselves and their neighbors.  And I don't desire the same for myself or my own neighbors.  But do we let her die?  Do we watch idly or do we rise in anger?  How far do we go down this path? I remember across the road from where I grew up there was a small pig confinement a neighbor owned.  He came in a couple of times a day and fed them and made sure they were growing comfortably.  The pigs were important because his well-being depended upon their well-being.  He had to make sure they didn't move around much and that there was plenty of feed.  Because if the food ran out the pigs would have went in search of something, somewhere.  Because when a pig's been well fed they feel they deserve to be well fed everyday.  Somehow I feel I still live pretty close to the pig confinement.  And one of these days those farmers aren't gonna show up 'cause they've run out of feed.  Or at least that's my take on it.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.  Feel free to email me at rueuhy@gmail.com with comments or just to chew the fat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment