Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reliable Sources and Rumors

The following is a tech story for 2014.  I give you the following "copy and paste" synopsis from the IBT in depth report for Apple iPhone 6 release:

"As the New Year approaches, rumors of the next iPhone and iPad increase by the day. In fact, reports highlighted the next iPhone 6 to feature a larger screen. While there are sources saying Apple may release the next phone later in 2014, new reports say the tech giant may release the flagship by May 2014. What should people expect? "

But wait!!!  There's more:

"A number of analysts and sources say it is highly likely Apple will release a new phone in 2014. With the increasing competition, it is impossible that the tech giant will break away from the trend. It will not let other competitors release flagships while it remains in a slump."

And still more:

"There are also reports saying that the iPhone 6 will likely be a phablet."

And to complete the rumor mill:

"There are no confirmations yet for any of the devices. These are just predictions and leads from various sources. Analysts often put out predictions as a guide for the market and consumers. It is best for people to wait for the official announcement to know the final details."

Now, the interesting thing that really bothers me is the non-use of actual names for these sources or where these reports actually came from.  There is no issue of liability for lying because there is no actual proof of any individual or actual credible source who fed the reporter this info.  For all we know it came from Samsung, Google, Nexus, Android, or a million other possibilities.  Or, it actually came from Apple to get the dreaming started.  The point is, it could be true.  Or it could be so far off base that Apple will just smile and whisper "It's all part of the plan" in the voice of the Joker from the Batman trilogy.  So, here's my point - why shouldn't news be a little bit more credible and why shouldn't we demand it?  If a top notch source for technology news, such as the International Business Times (or IBT) publishes such garbage, shouldn't we be a little surprised?  Or are we so numb to inaccuracy and rumor mill reporting that we just take it with a Laissez-faire attitude?  Now I'm a fan of lying, or bending the truth, if you are writing humorous fiction.  I'm also a fan of grand story telling using "non" truth in an effort to entertain.  What I am not a fan of is the garbage being pumped out, in the form of news reporting, to the masses when I'm smack dab in the middle of those masses.  I get tired of being lied to when I'm actually interested in the headline.  Or the use of strategic syllables and nouns and verbs filled with misleading lies pulled out of the butt of a "not so well informed" reporter to sell a paper or other media source.  I actually hate it.  I try to get my info from credible sources and I guess I've become a little jaded and critical when it comes to this.  Perhaps I should just let them pump in the garbage and sit back and feel a warm, oozy feeling overcome me.  But my survival instincts switch on and I really want to know the truth.  I like the truth.  Even if it means pain and discomfort to me.  Even if it means my life will become messier and tougher.  I instinctively require it.  What amazes me, and scares the living tar out of me, is how many people who live on this same planet are just basically here for the ride.  And this totally goes against 100% of car manufacturers understanding of the consumer. Because every automobile that's ever been produced includes windows.  I can not think of any automobile, from the first to the latest, that did not include a device such as windows which allowed the occupant to look out to see what's around them.  I guess it's a safety thing.  People should instinctively desire to see the tree ahead when they are going 55 miles an hour.  I don't understand why people don't live all aspects of their life that way.  And for me, a lie, or half-truth, being told to me, is very similar to driving a car with no windows. It's just dangerous.  And a tree is still a tree at 0 miles an hour or 55 miles an hour.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

Here's a link to the IBT story:  http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/532193/20131230/apple-iphone-6-releae-date.htm#.UsQqwvRDuiV

No comments:

Post a Comment