Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hiding The Elephant Behind The Curtains

If you're like me you love a good potato(e).  Especially if the skin is buttered and salted with a few spices.  Fresh butter and a hint (don't empty the bottle) of chives.  Now I prefer to allow the butter to penetrate past the starches and envelope the entire tuber until the two have become one.  Once the butter has completely saturated the inside delicacy, a dab of sour cream is required.  A potato, baked to perfection, if large enough, is enough for me.  I didn't always prefer a potato.  When I was completing my youth, being fed by my mother in her simple kitchen, baked potatoes were never my favorite.  Actually they still aren't.  But my tastes have changed and I enjoy them now.  If I have a choice between pizza or a baked potato, obviously I'm going for the pizza.  It's my nature.  There is something about a well-cheesed pizza.  I prefer Canadian bacon with mushrooms but I'll endure a pepperoni if I must.  Because I've learned to adapt.  Pizza is just alright with me.  I never thought I would enjoy a Hawaiian style but I find the pineapple an intriguing topping. If the juice is held to a minimum, pineapple is a topping that mingles with the sauce and cheese and creates a delightful alternative to the normal selection.  I also enjoy a warm, freshly grilled burger with american cheese.  I usually prefer the tomato to float in a sea of ketchup and mustard.  Lettuce is a nice compliment to the toppings but cheese and ketchup are the minimum requirements for me.  So why do I oppose the policies of the current Executive Administration holding the reins of government in our present time?  Because I'm not a big fan of curry turkey.  Let me explain.  Growing up in a small, one room kitchen, my mother was always talking about meals.  "I guess I should get started on supper." was heard so many times by myself and my siblings that I think we considered it background noise.  Like the soft hum of a dryer totally balanced.  You know the clothes are drying but you don't realize how nice the balanced load is until a couple of shoes are thrown in every once in a while.  I still remember hearing the shoelaces drag and the thud as the shoe almost made it to the top but would fall to the bottom of the drum.  So our mother, rest her soul (she's still alive and well but she did raise four children in a one room kitchen), would talk about the upcoming meal and we would sort of listen.  Every once in a while, she wouldn't mention the meal.  That's how we knew she was preparing something like liver and onions.  Or my least favorite in my childhood - curry turkey.  It was a simple meal that contained turkey and some type of yellowish sauce with curry.  We were Hispanic by nature (and heritage) so I never really figured out why we were eating curry but it is what it is.  The curry never really fit in with the hamburgers or the tacos.  I don't really remember what we had with the baked potatoes but we did live in a rural area with a grandpa that used to grow potatoes. So we always had a supply of potatoes.  I remember walking barefoot through the pasture to the old shack where we kept the potatoes.  There were spiders and snakes and other wildlife so maybe that's why I wasn't so thrilled about potato night.  Mom would handle me a shovel and tell me the snakes were my friends.  I guess this prepared me mentally for kindergarten but what's a ten year old to do.  So I guess the Obamacare, minimum wage, immigration, and the countless other initiatives that the administration desire are a lot like potato night.  Or turkey curry night.  Even though my mom didn't give us a lot of hoopla over her preparations of the turkey curry she would serve it.  We would stare at it.  We would ask "What is this?" and hope she would surprise us with something else.  Or we would look at the liver on liver and onion night and feel a hopelessness.  So I guess, after many years my tastes have changed.  I haven't had turkey curry for a few decades and my nose still turns up listening to liver frying on a grill but baked potatoes can be good with enough butter and sour cream.  But somethings will always be liver.  Or turkey curry.  No matter how many years of talking about it or not talking about it will never change the bitterness.  Or the sound of a shoe thumping in the dryer.  Somethings will always be annoying and stink up the kitchen.  And no matter how many times I was offered turkey curry in my youth I never changed my mind about it.  I prefer pizza.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog. If you have recipes for turkey curry or liver and onions please email them to me at rueuhy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment