Saturday, July 13, 2013

Coming Out

I enjoy going to the movies.  More often than not I enjoy the going in part a lot more than the coming out part.  I've mentioned before how beneficial a good story and good characters are to the overall quality of a movie.  Unless you're a composer very few come out of a movie and say something like "What a soundtrack!! You wanna see it again tomorrow?"  No, the soundtrack is important but really it's on the same level as the paint job on the car you just purchased.  Sure, the engine is only firing on seven of the eight cylinders but it really shines when the light hits it just right.  So, just like the Chevy Volt you just bought, the inside is what really matters.  Are you comfortable for that eight hour trip?  No?  But you got great gas mileage didn't you?  Now, gas mileage is very important.  Just ask the guy who topped off his tank at the convenience store.  Remember when $20 or even $10 filled it up and you pulled in on empty?  So mileage is important.  But if the engine doesn't accelerate correctly or the brakes don't slow you down as you pass the patrol car sitting in the median on the interstate, you might find your car is not the most desirable thing in your life.  For someone like me I'm always looking at the sum of things.  The big picture.  The whole enchilada.  I see the crack in the bottom of that new piece of pottery.  I notice when there's a hiss when there should have been a swoosh.   I can sit in a restaurant and listen to an ice machine go into harvest mode and I will try to hear the ice drop in a steady fall or one big complete drop.  I tend to smell bad things.  I feel the texture of something and notice a ripple where it should be totally smooth.  For some this would seem awesome.  For me, it's a blessing and a curse.  Sometimes I really hate it.  Someone will ask me "What'd you think of the movie and the critical part has to override the 80% that was good because I noticed the 20% that was bad.  For several decades now I've used this ability to help me with my job.  It's in my nature to look for a defect or inconsistency.  I try to add up the dots and watch for the missing dots.  Using all the evidence at hand to try to come up with the problem.  It's part of trouble shooting but it makes for a very negative existence.  It's a real downer.  That's when I have to look outside.  Up in the sky. Or watch a bird take flight.  Just try to listen to the sounds of a bird or the stealth of a cat approaching the bird.  The perfection of creation.  Or at least the parts that we don't create inconsistencies in.  I guess I see so many imperfections in our created world of technology and human superiority because it misses the mark so far.  What we do and what we actually do are two totally different things most of the time.  We marvel at the human achievements because somehow we want to achieve perfection.  But then we watch our children being born and we just know we've missed the mark on our technological prowess.  Every convenience we can perceive pails in the simple accomplishment achieved by the creation of dexterity in the human hand.  I guess I wonder why we do what we do when the mark is so far away.  The ability of humans to "do" does not mean success.  If we compare what we've created through our intelligence we cannot even compare to the brilliance in the intelligent design in full evidence around us. We take ourselves too seriously.  But at least it keeps us busy.  Too busy to watch the most entertaining achievement the world has ever known.  An achievement we had nothing to do with but was at the center of the motivation to complete it.  A created world for us. Now that's entertainment.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment