Sunday, July 28, 2013

What Is Hollywood's Next Move?




In my lifetime I've seen a few movies.  If you asked me how many movies I've seen I would probably say something witty like - "That's what your Mama said."  But that's not really that witty or original.  Which reminds me of a question that lingers in my mind like a cyst inside my colon.  Actually it's not really a cyst but it is similar to what Hollywood puts out a lot of lately.  The question, in written form, for your benefit, cause you're really not listening to me when I call out in the dead of the silence of the middle of the movie, is what is Hollywood's next move?  We've seen animation, CGI, 3D, 48 frame rate (Hobbit), remakes of remakes, imax, imax domes, vhs, dvd, and now blue-ray.  SO???   What's Hollywood's next move?  What could they possibly do as the next great big thing?  Yesterday an answer came to me.  It was startling at first but then it made sense in  the same way jelly goes with peanut butter when you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Combo movies.  Yes, the combination of great films synchronized into one even better film.  Why you may ask?  The answer is simple - because we really don't crave originality anymore.  How many times can the story of Batman be retold?  Seven?  Eight?  Or Superman?  Or the Wolverine?   Or Miracle on 32nd street?   I'm really kinda waiting for a new remake of It's a Wonderful Life.  In 3D.  Wouldn't it be awesome to see Clarence's face as he hits the water saving George Baily IN 3D!!!!  Because 3D makes it better.  Let's look at some other films which could be remade - like Eraserhead.  IN 3D!!!  If you've never seen the movie Eraserhead it's available in the Criterion Collection available on Hulu plus.  Okay, I veered into a tangent that could go on and on.  So, my idea for the next evolutionary step in cinema would require combining two story lines, similar in nature, into one.  The first one I offer for your entertainment evaluation is the The Matrix King - the story of The Lion King and The Matrix combined.  We find our young hero Neo/Simba in search of who he is and Morpheous/Mufasa who guides them on their quest to be king/the one.  We also have Trinity/Nala as the love interest.

 And of course every movie needs an enemy.  Ours would be the combination of Agent Smith and Scar.  Agent Smith - "You hear that Mr. Anderson, ... that is the sound of inevitability, ...it is the sound of your death.  Goodbye Mr. Anderson."   Neo - "My name is  ... Simba!!"   Perhaps the cost to produce these new films would be in the editing and obtaining the rights to produce them but aren't we worth it?  There would be hurdles to overcome but Hollywood would find a way.  Because that's what winners do.  And Hollywood's a winner.  They're so fundamentally in the win column their clout can buy a chair situated behind a desk in an office not square but oval.  So that's the challenge.  Take a great movie, and take another great movie, and make it supercaligragilistic with a side of expialidocious.  Which gives me another idea - what if you took the winning combination of a nanny who has a carpetbag that anything can be pulled out of, and let's say she can fly, and she suddenly finds herself in mortal combat with a vampire/human hybrid child who is married to a werewolf?  That's entertainment.  We could call it Mary Twilight Poppins.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment