Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Moment Can Last Forever

In my hometown, where my home is, there is a busy street called Morton Avenue.  I have probably driven down this street a thousand times or more.  Going east, going west, it's one of the most frequented streets in our city. Today was no different as I was making my way back to my shop after an enjoyable lunching with my sister.  With the aroma of salsa still on my shirt front, I was doing the same thing I do probably 50 times a week - driving down Morton.  Now Morton Avenue is a four lane street that runs pretty much all the way from the east end of our city to the west end.  During the course of a year there are probably 10 or more accidents that occur on Morton.  Tragically, very recently, a blind woman was hit while trying to cross Morton.  In all seriousness, a tragedy indeed.  So, as I'm making my way eastbound on Morton, with my tummy full of rice, beans,  and a chicken burrito, I approached the intersection of Main St. and Morton Ave with a green light.  Traffic was moving at an even pace and no one was racing or anything like that.  It was in the moment I was approaching the intersection that I detected motion next to the stop light pole.  A very young girl with her dad next to her were on bicycles and waiting to cross Morton.  I was less than 20 feet away doing approximately 35 miles an hour with very little chance of stopping in time.  What I had seen was the girl nervously moving back and forth on her bike and the front tire appeared to be moving toward the street. My mind had several thoughts occur at the same time.  "Oh my God!!!" was one.  Another was "I can't stop in time."  Still, another, which was probably the worse one, was "I'm gonna kill her."  I couldn't even really see the girl due to the pole blocking her from my vision.  It was just the front tire I had noticed first.  As I passed, without even time to really react, I saw her and her dad just waiting patiently for the "walk" sign to give them the go-ahead to cross.  What had happened in my mind was a nightmare.  I've been driving since I was 16 so given the 30 years of experience and the job I perform, driving is not new to me.  I have had near misses and I've been involved in a couple of accidents but I do consider myself a good driver and I actually haven't had a ticket in the last 15 years.  I guess, no matter what experience I may feel I have, there are certain accidents I cannot avoid and the loss of life is a very real potential.  No one could ever really foresee a tragedy that awaits them - especially involving a child as young as I saw today.  As I proceeded through the intersection, at a speed just under the speed limit due to slowing (a little) my life reverted back to normal.  But for one moment, a moment that could have lasted forever, my life was changed forever.  In my mind I hit and killed someone who couldn't have been older than 10 years old.  And her father would have been a witness to everything.   No matter how much experience and clear visibility I may think I  have there may always be some child ready to roll in front of me.  It's just possible.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment