Thursday, August 22, 2013

When Air Conditioners Get Turned On

I got the call yesterday.  I was expecting it but at the same time I wasn't sure exactly when but I was pleased to finally see the number pop up.  I have a few customers.  Not a million, or even a thousand but probably around a couple hundred.  Some call quite often.  Some are just once a year.  Some are fantastic.  Some are not.  But this call, in particular, had to do with a house I installed a new system in, with the exception of the old registers and duct work that runs through the first floor up to the second floor.  But I replaced pretty much everything in the basement and also added air conditioning. I have installed a few systems for this customer and we have a pretty good working relationship.  He'll show me a recently purchased house he wants to fix up and I'll figure up a new replacement for the equipment or the system.  And when I say "system" I'm referring to the heating and air conditioning system usually involving forced air.  I do replace boilers and electric air handlers and heat pumps but primarily he likes forced heating and air conditioning.  On the most recent house the electrical wiring and power panel are being replaced and I was waiting for the new electrical service to be installed and brought into the house due to the 240 volt needed to run the a/c.  So I got the call yesterday and I would be able to start up the new system.  It's an exciting time for me.  I had not heard or seen the furnace run.  Or the new unit outside.  In fact, for protection, I had left the cardboard on the unit outside to protect it from the new paint job the house received externally.  (He really fixes 'em up.)  So, I installed a temporary thermostat and the electrician flipped the only two new breakers installed in the new box.  Nothing happened.  I opened up the bottom compartment of the furnace and there was no indication of power in the furnace.  We soon figured out the main breaker was still off and chuckled about it.  He flipped everything on and I heard the furnace blower start.  At this present time, in the central part of the United States, in August, it can get hot.  And muggy.  Humidity.  Air conditioning is not "mandatory" but it's a pretty nice thing to have.  And I'm definitely happy to add or install central a/c.  So, I normally concentrate on the a/c part first in the summer months when starting up a new system.  So the blower was running.  Next, I went outside and turned the disconnect on for power to the outside unit.  I use a 60 amp non-fused disconnect for the outside connection so basically you pull the power bar out and invert it for the "on" position and re-insert the power bar.  I already had my refrigeration guages connected and the cardboard box pulled off so we were ready for the unit to come on.  Now, I've installed hundred(s) of outside units in the course of a couple of decades. But I still like that initial start of a new unit.  Watching the pressure readings change on the guages and hum of the compressor is something you always want to see and hear when they start up and it's still amazes me how the whole thing cools your house.  I understand the principles of air conditioning and what the pressure and temperature changes mean to refrigeration and how this "conditions" your air but the whole thing still amazes me.  I guess/hope that doctors feel the same way when they deliver new borns.  It's the creation of something from nothing and hearing the first "hum" from the newborn baby.  As I let the unit run and went inside to check air flow I was happy.  When everything goes right and you feel that cool air coming out and feel good forceful air coming out of the vents it is something to be proud of.  After 15 minutes or so I went and checked the "superheat" and it was within .3 degrees of where it should have been.  There was a nice 20 degree temperature drop between the supply and return.  It was going to work well.  And still, after all these years, that "coolness" that you help the customers feel is still a pleasing concept to me.  I haven't turned the gas meter on outside yet or checked the furnace/heat operation yet but that's as pleasing as well.  There is something exciting about watching your air conditioner get turned on.  And it's also exciting watching the customer's relief that all that new mud is going to dry on the walls.  Just a brief glimpse into my work for you, the reader.  Hope you stay "cool" today.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment