Thursday, August 29, 2013

Finding The Twerk Off Button

I used to be young and infamous. Or perhaps I was just infamous.  And one thing we all definitely have in common is the progression of time and its power over our bodies.  Try to imagine the time when Grandma was actually "hot".  Actually, don't.  It's just weird and it makes Grandpa look perverted.  Instead, try to imagine your kids when they're in their 60's.  Of course you'll be the one sitting in the wheelchair as they're visiting you in the nursing home.  But just imagine.  The toll of years and worry lines on their faces.  The loss of sleep because the bills had to be paid.  The wisdom in their eyes as they caress your hand and check the time on their watches/phones.  You've become a statistic and they've become you.  Now imagine you're Billy Ray Cyrus.  Who?  Billy Ray Cyrus - "Don't break my heart, my achy-breaky heart" Cyrus.  He's the father of one Miley Cyrus.  Now, if you don't know who Miley Cyrus is then you may not know what twerking is. Actually, according to John Tyldon, the author of such books as "Twerk First, Dance Later" and "My Butt Can't Stop", twerking can be credited to people of dark skinned persuasion.  If you remember a previous post of mine - If Babies Came With Labels - I mentioned I would use the term "dark" to describe people of dark skin persuasion rather than the old labels. There has been some outrage lately because there are a few who feel that Miss Cyrus is using an old dance move that rightly belongs to the "dark" column and is being misconstrued for her own self-promotion.  But I digress .... The use of rhythmically moving your butt in time with the music while in a provocative stance is the newest claim to fame by one previously known as Hannah Montana.  I came across a few minutes of her at the latest MTV music awards show (I'm not a fan of her or MTV but the internet is what it is) and I gotta say "Stop it Miley!!!"  It actually looks like a cross between an ugly prostitute and a really bad cult demonic movie from the 70's.  I can honestly say that I'm not really acquainted with her work as Hannah Montana.  Nor am I a fan of her music.  I've never really seen a video of hers or know much about her criminal record.  But I do know this - she is going down a path that is filled with regret.  Oh, she's famous now and the money's probably pouring in but I guess when I think about the "twerking" and the need she seems to demonstrate with it, I start to feel a little bad for Mr. Cyrus, the father.  Now, if we were to throw blame and names around, he would be at the forefront of the refuse thrown.  He promoted his daughter and now she's hooked on the fame and stardom.  Much like cigarettes and beer, they seem to go hand in hand for most.  (I'm doing a terrible job of grouping groups of people together - smokers and drinkers - and I apologize) but it does seem a little cliche if you've ever been to a bar on a Saturday night before the "no smoking" ordinances that have become common place among our cities.  But Mr. Cyrus will probably regret the promoting he did with his innocent daughter for the fame he thought she needed.  And someday, when the wrinkles have set in and luster of the glitter that continues to be sprinkled has diminished in it's twinkling effect, Miley Cyrus is probably going to regret the recorded history made of her exploits.  And I can only imagine the phone calls made between her and Madonna at the Hollywood Nursing Home.  But for now can someone please find the twerking off button?  It's disturbing and I think a lot of people feel the same way.  I guess, as a father, when I see stuff like this "everywhere" I really get mad and upset at the promotion of this crap.  Some of you may say "Lighten up Rueuhy.  It's just our culture now and the kids will adapt."  But how can a person lighten up when the evidence of the decay of moral values and decency seem to be glamorized by the media and the "pop star" mentality?  I said before that I feel sorry for Billy Ray Cyrus and his "achy, breaky heart".  Because down deep inside, past the desire for fame and fortune for himself, there's a heart that probably wears a heavy gown of distrust in its reasoning.  His little girl has grown up and she's on a road that may never have a spot to turn around.  But she's famous and a household name.  I guess that's what's important.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment