Wednesday, August 28, 2013

There Must Be 50 Ways To Cook Your Kitty

Some of you are probably excited about "Tangent Day".  I know I am.  "What's Tangent Day?" some of you ask.  Well, Tangent Day is a day just like any other day that I go off on another fun-filled tangent.  Tangents, in their simplicity, are a unique form of entertainment I devised years ago in my 4th grade year of elementary school.  Mrs. Hobrock hated my tangents.  She called them "Tangent Tantrums".  She would look me straight in the eye (most people couldn't do that because of the eye injury the year before and the eye patch always threw them off) and say something clever like "Now see here Rueuhy.  This is my class and I will not have you off on one of your tangent tantrums."  She was a mean old hag but we all loved her just the same.  But she couldn't stand tangents.  I would say something witty like "But Mrs. Hobrock, without tangents where would George Washington be today?  Buried in Philly?"  She couldn't stand my wit or my tangents.  But unfortunately she died a short 4 decades later.  Now, my favorite teacher in all those 6 years of education (I studied hard and finished school in half the time with night classes) was Mr. Farmer.  I always thought it odd that Mr. Farmer didn't actually farm in a farming community such as ours.  Honestly, having the name farmer but being a teacher?  It just didn't add up.  Later I would find out that he secretly did farm behind our backs but felt that knowledge was something we should never know.  He would come to school with corn stalks in his boots and we would ask him, "Hey, Mr. Farmer, why is there corn stalks in your boots?"  He would just look at us and ask us why we always carried books in our bags.  We would be so confused by his question that it would pre-occupy our minds for the next hour.  But the reason he was my favorite teacher was the special fruit juice he always had in his desk.  Sometimes he would ask me after class if I wanted some juice before my next class and I would say "Yes!" and he would pour me a glass. Then, after making sure I finished the cup he would get his camcorder out and film me walking down the hallway as I bounced off the lockers.  He was a lot of fun.  But he was a farmer so that probably explains why he always kept the juice in his desk.  Well, as I said before, today is Tangent Day and .... Oh, before I forget, I titled this post after a song I use to sing many years ago.  I was the original singer of the song but it was stolen by Paul Simon.
He got cocky and changed the words and told me there wasn't really anything I could do about it.  Apparently, unless you hire a lawyer or have an affidavit proving you originally wrote a song,  anyone can come along and change a few words around and call it their own.  Paul is now a millionaire and I'm barely squeaking along with the proceeds from the ads on this blogsite.  Life is full of tangents and thieves.   But the nice thing about a tangent is the ability to just let it wander.  Tangents have been known to cure diseases and allow for innovation.  Also, some of the coolest gadgets were created when the inventors were involved in car wrecks because their minds drifted off on some tangent while traveling on the interstate and they forgot where they were.  The proceeding weeks in the hospital bed get boring so inventors invent.  But, as I said before, cat lo mein is a dish best served fresh from the stove pot.  And there are 49 other recipes I will share with you in the future posts if you care to continue.  It's totally up to you.  I know what you're thinking.  "I'm really wore out now and I just don't want to go on another tangent".  That's why Tangent Day only comes once a year.  In my life, Tangent Day is everyday.  Just imagine how exhausted I must feel.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment