Friday, August 30, 2013

My Next $40,000 Television

I was browsing through my Roku channels yesterday and I decided to take a look at the CNET channel for the newest trends on phones and computers. I go there once a week out of boredom and to quench my thirst for new technology crazes.  While visiting I stumbled across the latest innovation from Sony.  Using the newest Ultra High Definition (UHD) technology, you, the viewer, who is broke from financing such an item, and can't afford the cable anymore, will be able to watch nothing (no one puts out 4K level films yet).  But, you'll be the envy of everyone next year.  Because the speed at which new technology hits us is faster than the rate of decay on that pizza you left in the refrigerator last week.  What is 4K you ask?  I refuse to answer that and how dare you ask me such frivolous questions.  I'm just a guy typing.  Well, maybe I should tell you because this post would make more sense.  In a nutshell, a really clear and crisp nutshell, 4K is the horizontal pixel rating on ultra high definition tv's.  Basically 3820 x 2160 pixel resolution.  The new, old high definition was 1080 pixel and they've quadrupled it.  That's like multiplying it four times.  Now, for your information, I do own one tv that sits in our front room.  It is a Samsung that I got a good deal on at a national electronics store and it is high definition.  It's not the "top of the line" but I'm really happy with it.  It's a 52" I believe (I can't really remember) and it is clear and crisp for what we watch on netflix.  Or sometimes, at least twice a year, we change the source from the Roku streaming device to the Blue Ray player and watch a dvd.  I've actually never sat watching my present tv and thought "If only I could see the blackheads on that young actors face."  Or "How much longer must I suffer with just high definition tv.  I want ULTRA high definition." There does come a point when consumers must be satisfied don't you think?  I guess the marketing will draw the new customers to the flame brilliantly displayed in ultra high definition with fluent lines and dazzling colors.  Myself, I can't see paying $5000 for a tv.  Or $40,000 for the new 84" model Sony is selling.  But that's me.  I do like technology but I do have to remain realistic.  Sometimes I am a bit perplexed by the choices people make in their lives.  For example, when I go into other people's houses for the work I do it's hard not to notice these choices.  I will see evidence of a certain low income level with the exception of the 60" big screen high definition tv proudly displayed in the living room.  It's hard not to wonder why such an expensive purchase was made.  But perhaps it was a gift or they won it.  I don't know for sure so I really can't pronounce judgement on someone just because a $1000 tv is surrounded by cardboard boxes being used as end tables.  I don't know the story.  But I do know this - the effect on us, the poor schmuck's who buy into what the advertisers are paid so well to do and sell to us has progressed beyond the reasonable and sometimes a person just needs to look around and say to themselves "I have plenty and I should be satisfied."  In reality, especially here in the United States, our poorest of poorest are far richer than the moderate and higher income in other countries.  We literally rent storage to just contain the overflow.  How many of us have garages that contain just enough extra space to park their vehicle?  Or don't have space in the garage to even park due to the overflow?  I guess what I'm saying is we're being lied to just to buy stuff.  At what point will our imaginary thirst be quenched.   Soda is a good example of this.  If a person merely drank water to re-hydrate themselves than a small glass would probably be sufficient.  But convincing ourselves that a 32 ounce soda is "just enough for now" should be considered a lie we tell ourselves just to quiet that sweet tooth down.  But that's your choice and I would never want to take that choice away.  Buy two if you feel it's necessary. (I know I've done that before.)  Yes, I'm rambling but I'm trying to make a point.  Sometimes we just have to pause and look around and feel some gratitude for the abundance we have.  We just have to quit buying into the lie that we're being told.  But that's just my take on it.  If you really do want a 4K tv than you should buy one.  But it will be awhile before you can watch much on it.  Very few production companies actually film in such a format but what is being produced is going to be clear and crisp.  Four times clearer and crisper.  My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment