Monday, June 24, 2013

Africa Is Not The Land Of The Free Or Home Of The Brave

It can be very frustrating not having a caps lock key on the keyboard that capitalizes the first letter of each word for a title. Personally, I would be in favor of such a key. Titles, and the writing of such things, is cause for a repetitive use of the backspace key. Hit the shift key and type a letter. Then don't hit the shift key while I finish the word. Then hit the shift key again while starting the next word. Perhaps the most frequently used key on my own keyboard would be the backspace key. I make a lot of mistakes while typing. I'm fast but the mistakes prevail. Missed letters as I'm typing. Misspelled words. These are a few of my most hated things. But it goes with the typing/writing. Mistakes will be made. I guess this can be said for any hobby. Or profession. Even leaders make mistakes while governing. And that brings us to the real issue for the day. If I ran a company (and I do) then I would need to supervise such company. If I had a family (and I do) then I would need to make my presence known and supervise such family. If I was president of, let's say, a country, then I would feel a need to remain in said country if there were a crisis on hand. Or if there were problems within my own administration I would feel a need to supervise and stay close by. And I guess that's what separates me from the big dogs. I read the headlines and follow political and technical news. Also, I follow entertainment but not really the television side. I love movies and like to know what's coming out. With this being said, I mistakenly followed several news stories that told of a week long visit by our very own president to Africa. I really thought it was a trailer for some eventual release coming out in the fall. Que the trailer music.... "This summer, the world is ending. And only one man can save us. Alone, with only a secret service attachment, a political entourage, a press corp, and his wife and daughters, only one man can save us from a continent known as Africa. Not only will he fight the foes of tyranny, he will also visit other world leaders in their very own homes. He is Obama. And he's not campaigning anymore." And fade music. So, the question that comes to mind, in this little American's head, is the "Why?". Why would our president feel the need to travel to Africa at this point in time. If I was the captain of the largest and most powerful ship on the seas would I take the lifeboat for a cruise? We are in crisis mode here. If my fellow world citizens who reside in other countries are following this blog I ask a simple question? Does it look like we know what we're doing over here? While unemployment still wavers near 8% what action is our leader taking? Well, I'm glad you didn't ask because we've apparently stopped asking and why prod a rabid dog with a stick once it has made its way into a dark corner? It will only cause the dog to come back out, right? And then we'll have to do something about the dog, won't we? And unemployment is just the beginning. The Benghazi crisis? That's not as important as keepin' up appearances in hot beds of crisis such as African-United States relations. Well, just the other month on CNN a reporter did a story on the unfolding diplomatic fubar that continues to go unattended between the United States and Africa. If you asked the ordinary, every day citizen of the United States, what is the most dire situation facing this country, obviously the first words out of their mouths wouldn't be the NSA surveillance problem, or the IRS auditing situation, or the bombing/riots of an embassy and the cover-up - NOPE!!!!!, it's the terrible public relations between the continent of Africa and the North American country the world calls the United States. And that's the message this president is sending out to the citizens under the current management. "I love ya but my heart yearns for another place." But it won't be Kenya. At least not on the radar. No safari's are on the itinerary either. At least to the best of my knowledge. The following is a quote from Chika Oduah from http://www.bellanaija.blogspot.com/ And I quote: "The truth is: Africans thought Obama would fly to their continent on his less busy weekends and shove dollars down their pockets and provide jobs for their sons and daughters. They thought Obama would halt the expansion of the Sahara Desert (or at least intercede to God on their behalf) and ensure their crops would yield a surplus. They had hoped Obama would throw their presidents and politicians in jail for money laundering. They prayed for him to help them crawl out of poverty and dreamed of Sasha or Malia marrying one of their grandsons. They told one another that he would fix their dilapidated schools and provide clean water. He was supposed to jar up every mosquito — including their larvae — and kiss malaria goodbye. After that, he would do the same to the tsetse flies. They had deluded themselves into believing that Barack Obama would quicken Africa’s entry into the First World. He was expected to bless their babies and cure their diseases. He would replace their failed governments or become a sort of proxy president. But, he didn’t." Posted on Monday, November 5th, 2012 So, in that way we are similar to Africans. Because we kinda hoped Obama would stay here, on his less busy week days, and shove dollars down our pockets and provide jobs for our sons and daughters. We don't have an expanding desert known as the Sahara but we do have an ever expanding debt ceiling. In some ways, we had hoped Obama would throw some of our governors and senators and representatives in jail for their crimes. And we prayed for him to marry off his daughters to some distant african boys. But these things did not happen. And that is why we are disillusioned. Actually, that's why some are disillusioned. I didn't expect him to fix anything or pray to a higher power then himself. I figured he would make things worse. And so far I figured right. My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment