Thursday, June 27, 2013

They Run In Packs

As I was pulling away from a customer's house, on a quiet street, I saw one. Our eyes met momentarily. I could see the hunger and desperation in those eyes. As I rolled up my window I could sense movement from the other direction. The first one had been on the west side of the street. This one was on the east side. The speed limit was only 30 mph but would that be fast enough? As I continued I noticed the two were meeting in the middle of the street. Such audacity in the middle of the morning. It had sprinkled earlier which usually causes them to seek shelter but the rain had stopped. Now there were two off to the side of the road. The relief was satisfying as I crept past them with their little eyes focusing on me. Should I honk my horn to scatter them, I wondered. As my vehicle proceeded down the road I caught a glimpse of more of them. This one was a female. She was leaving the doorway of a house several houses north of the house I had just left. It seemed she was almost waving at me and then I noticed she was trying to get the attention of another female directly across the street from her. "Great" I thought to myself. Should I call the city to notify them there was a pack of them on Chilton Street? I wasn't really sure if there was anything anyone could really do. "As long as they stay in their homes they should be alright." I tried to reassure myself. The females just watched as I drove on by. It would seem that the females were meeting up with the males on the side of the street as I watched from the rear view mirror of my service van. Normally I see two together but four was probably more of a synchronized hunt. "They must communicate with each other through some specialized evolved trait or something." I said to no one in particular. I felt a sense of relief as I turned onto Greenwood and proceeded to Hardin Ave. Through the years I had experienced other close calls with them. Sometimes in front of my own house. But on this particular morning I was able to get a small taste of watching a whole pack of them roaming around on a street. Normally you see something like that on some tv documentary but this was real life. Right in front of me. So I was pretty excited but still shook up from the experience. "I didn't get any pictures or videos of them." I yelled as the thought occurred to me. Oh well. People are always accusing other people of photoshopping pictures like that so who was gonna believe me anyway. But I knew the truth and no one, no matter how much doubt they could try to cast on my story, was gonna convince me other wise. And even to this day, when I close my eyes, the scene comes alive in my memory. The pretty little floral print dresses and fashionable hats. The perfectly pressed shirts and ties. Even the pamphlets they held in their hands with the title of Watchtower printed boldly. I had witnessed a pack of Jehovah's Witnesses and had observed them in their natural state. I survived this time but I'm not so sure about the friendly people on the street of Chilton. My name is Rueuhy and I approve this blog.

2 comments: